What is NER’s Annual Spring Ramble, aside from the obvious: 140+ Porsches (some Ramblers do drive vehicles other than Porsches), good friends, good food and a weekend at a top-notch resort hotel? You’ll arrive Friday (or earlier at our inviting rate), meet up with other early arrivers if you’re one, and begin your social and partying activities.
There are plenty of activities on the property and nearby including The Spa at Cliff House (request our 10% discount), the indoor pool, golf across the street at Cape Neddick Country Club (weather permitting), the shops and galleries in nearby Ogunquit, hikes of varying levels of difficulty in the surrounding countryside, the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, and plenty of outlet stores to visit in nearby Kittery if that strikes your fancy.
Our Overall Event Sponsor is once again European Performance Engineering in Natick, MA. Give these talented folks a call at (508) 651-1316 for anything from an oil change to a full street-to-track conversion. Or visit their website at www.epe.com.
On Friday from 6:00–7:15 p.m., see old friends and meet some new PCA’ers at the Welcome Reception – sponsored by Porsche of Warwick. We’ll be in the Oceanview Terrace Salon serving complimentary light hors d’oeuvres and snacks along with a cash bar. So please stop by, pick up your name tag, and say hello before you head out for dinner on your own. There are lots of great restaurants in both York and Ogunquit (reservations are recommended) offering various cuisines and price points, or you can choose to eat on the property casually at Nubb’s Lobster Shack or in The Tillers Restaurant for finer dining.
On Saturday morning, registration will be open from 7:00–8:30 a.m. in the Cape Neddick Salon, with continental breakfast continuing until 9:00 a.m. The mandatory drivers and passengers safety and route briefing will convene at 8:45 a.m., after which drivers will head out on a self-guided tour to our lunch destination in Plymouth, NH via the scenic back roads of Maine and New Hampshire.
For those of you who are interested in driving your car on a race track, we’ve arranged to do parade laps at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon! When you register online, you’ll be able to select this option for only $30/car ($5 going to Homes for our Troops, the club’s chosen charity). You’ll have the opportunity to drive 5 laps behind a pace car at highway speeds during the lunch break of the motorcycle races that will be hosted by the track that weekend. If you’ve never driven through the tunnel to enter the active paddock of a track during a race day, it’s really quite a special experience – not to mention the exhilaration of driving the track itself.
Following the buffet lunch, you’ll embark on another enjoyable back road, self-guided tour heading back to the Cliff House, which includes the breathtaking Kancamangas Highway. Or, if you prefer to get back sooner to begin your partying, massage, hike or whatever, simply take the more direct route that will also be provided.
For you first timers – a hearty welcome. Your registration packet will include a detailed route to and from our lunch stop, that my wife Carol and I have travelled many times, revising and correcting along the way. Unlike many group tours, we drive on our own (not as a convoy) though usually you’ll find yourself part of a multi-car pod. Make a pit stop, or pull off to take a photo when you want, and pick up the next pod coming down the road. Want to spend time with some different Porsche models of varying configurations and colors? Just pull off and join the next pod to come along. However, if you do decide to take an extended off-route excursion, you will have “officially” left the tour for insurance purposes.
At 6:00 p.m. Saturday evening, we’ll meet for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres in the Oceanview Terrace Salon, followed by a plated dinner in the Atlantic Ballroom, and more socializing on your own after dinner. From 7:00–10:00 a.m. Sunday morning, a full, hot, buffet breakfast will be served back in the Atlantic Ballroom, after which you’re on your own again to head home, or stay longer and enjoy the charms of southern Maine.
Remember, this is a Tour, and we expect you to follow all the laws and regulations pertaining to the public roadways we’ll be traveling. We’ll be on many narrow, 2-lane roads, so please give pedestrians and bicyclers a wide berth. If you have the urge to exercise your Porsche more fully, we would highly recommend attending one of the many Driver’s Education or Autocross events hosted by the Northeast Region. Imprudent or dangerous driving behavior will not be tolerated during the Ramble.
Unless you like being on a waitlist, register early for one of the 150 rooms in our block. Check-in is 4:00 p.m. and check-out is 11:00 a.m.
The Friday rate is for your room only and includes all taxes and fees. Subject to availability, this same rate applies for 3 pre & post Ramble nights should you wish to extend your stay.
The Saturday Package Rate includes your room, Saturday cocktail hour with hors d’oeuvres (cash bar after you’ve used your 1 drink ticket/person), Saturday night dinner (jackets for men), Sunday morning hot breakfast buffet, and all service charges, gratuities and taxes.
The resort fee is included in the room rate and includes free wireless internet, fresh Maine artisan coffee, choice of daily newspapers, and self-parking; as well as the use of the indoor heated pool, year-round outdoor heated hot tub, and 24-hour fitness center.
Your registration fee covers the Friday Welcome Reception with light hors d’oeuvres and snacks, Saturday’s continental breakfast, Saturday’s lunch, your 2018 commemorative Ramble pin, and some of the other costs incurred in organizing and running the Ramble.
Only 39 of these rooms are available on a first come/first served basis.
1. You can find the event by going to www.clubregistration.net, logging in (see #2 below to “Create Account”), and then click on “Search for Events”, highlighting “Find Event” on the drop-down menu. At the top-middle of the page, you’ll see a box that invites you to “Enter keywords”, enter the word “Ramble” into this box and then click on the “Search…” button.
2. If you have never used ClubRegistration.net, you will need to create an account. Clicking on “Create Account” on the home page will take you to the “New Account Setup” screen where you will be asked to select a Username and Password as well as enter your First Name and Last Name. After making these entries, click “Create”. This will take you to the “Profile” page where you will enter your personal information. Once you have completed your “Profile”, click on “Update” (at the bottom left of the screen) to save your information. Please enter an email address that you check frequently (and make sure we have a good email for you at PCA.org too, while you’re at it).
3. After you’ve completed #2 above, you’ll be taken to the Vehicles Page, where you should enter your information. Once you have “Saved” your vehicle information, click on “My Account” at the top of the page, and highlight “Edit Memberships” in the drop down menu. Enter “PCA”, your “Region/Chapter” (we are Northeast), your “Membership Number”, and click “Add”.
4. The registration fee remains $60 per person, and is fully refundable through March 1 (less a $10 administrative fee), and 50% refundable thereafter through April 6. Your Cliff House reservations are cancelable with no penalty by calling them at least 7 days before arrival. If you find it necessary to cancel your room, please do so as early as possible, to enable people on the waitlist to attend.
5. Full hotel reservation information and procedures will be available on the ClubRegitration.net website when you register.
6. Please do not call the Cliff House to make your reservation before you have registered online. We will be matching registrations against the hotel-supplied rooming list on a weekly basis, and those registered will receive priority within our room block. A room reserved without an event registration is not guaranteed. We may well fill up our room block at the hotel, so please make your reservations with the Cliff House promptly after you have registered to avoid disappointment.
If you have any questions about online registration, or anything else about the Ramble, call Dennis Friedman at (781) 740-1660 before 10:00 p.m. or email him at [email protected]